Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pfeiffer on "Batman Returns," Burton's "Catwoman" Movie


Michelle Pfeiffer, who will be appearing in Dark Shadows, spoke with Empire Magazine and looked fondly back to twenty years ago -- when she first collaborated with Tim Burton, playing Catwoman in Batman Returns. When did she take the iconic role? "Immediately," the Dark Shadows star said. "I was halfway through the script when I said yes. Someone else was cast in the part and I remember being absolutely devastated and calling my agent and saying, 'How have I not had a meeting about this? Why have I not heard about it?' It was one of those things where Tim had someone in mind and went directly to them. So I was really bummed, but it was okay. When she [Annette Bening] fell out of it I was just leaving the country and got a call to say Tim wanted to meet me. So I went and he gave me the script and I got halfway through and said yes. But you know, honestly, I would have done it anyway, even without reading the script. But I was very happy that she was actually very well written."

"I think that she was someone so dark," added the actress on what it was that made the character so appealing to her. "Dark characters are always more interesting and she's really very dark. That whole split personality is interesting." Pfeiffer went on to reveal that she very nearly played Catwoman in a solo film helmed by Burton. "For a while, like a brief time, Tim was interested in maybe doing a Catwoman movie, but that didn't really last very long."

No comments: